Communication is multi-facited and to be effective must consider all the following :
- Self Awareness: Be mindful! Think about your communication style, who you are speaking to, your choice of verbal and non-verbal and be sensitive to how the other person is receiving you communication.
- Verbal Communication: Choose words that will increase your listeners understanding of what you are trying to communicate
- Non-Verbal Communication: Includes all communication other than words. The most influential part of communicating. People will believe more of what yo do than what you say.
- Listening and Responding: We spend most of our communication time listening. Need to be in the moment, listen for meaning and not to respond. Try to understand the other’s perspective when listening-be other oriented
- Adapt Your Skills: Adjust your communication including both what you are communicating and how. Your intended receiver will determine your choices.
Click “NEXT” below to access Communication and Dementia.
Click “BACK” below to access Tips for Caregivers page.